Weekly Trust

Articles

Adamu Knows fate November 17

World football chief Sepp Blatter confirmed yesterday that the verdict of an investigation into the controversial 2018 and 2022 World Cup bidding scandal involving Nigeria’s Amos Adamu would be given on November 17.
Amos Adamu and Reynald Temarii have been ‘provisionally suspended’ by FIFA following a meeting of the world football governing body’s Ethics committee.
Both men were caught in a Sunday Times expose allegedly attempting to sell their World Cup bid votes.
Four other members of FIFA – Slim Aloulou, Ismael Bhamjee, Amadou Diakite and Ahongalu Fusimalohi – have also been provisionally suspended from all football activity.
A statement from FIFA said: “After hearing Amos Adamu and Reynald Temarii, the Ethics Committee considered that a provisional suspension was required while the investigation continues, taking into account the gravity of the case and the likelihood that a breach of the FIFA Statutes, the FIFA Code of Ethics and the FIFA Disciplinary Code has been committed.
“The decision to provisionally suspend these officials is fully justified and should not be put in question. The evidence that has been presented to us today has led us to take this provisional measure, as we considered that the conditions were definitely met to take this decision and we deem that it is crucial to protect the integrity of the 2018 and 2022 FIFA World Cup bidding process. We are determined to have zero tolerance for any breach of the Code of Ethics,” said the chairman of the Ethics Committee, Claudio Sulser.
Adamu was secretly filmed by undercover Times reporters posing as lobbyists for the USA 2018 World Cup bid and allegedly asked for $800 000 to be paid to him ‘directly’ to build four artificial pitches in Nigeria.
FIFA earlier this month launched a two-pronged investigation into allegations of corruption in the bidding process as well as illicit collusion between some of the bidders, following a British newspaper report.
The ethics committee in charge of the probe “will meet on November 15, 16 and 17 in Zurich,” Blatter told journalists, confirming dates given informally by the committee’s chief.
“The ethics committee will announce its verdict on November 17,” he told journalists after a FIFA executive committee meeting.
Blatter also confirmed that FIFA’s decision-makers would press ahead with the announcement of the 2018 and 2022 World Cup hosts as scheduled in Zurich on December 2, despite the controversy dogging the race.

(c) Media Trust Limited. 1998 - 2013